Accessing the VPN
The Virtual Private Network (VPN) service allows University students to securely 'tunnel' into campus network from outside the University and access services as if they were on campus. It can also be used over campus wireless networks as well. The service may be required by students to access services that are restricted normally to campus-only access.
This service is provided to all students free of charge. Students can use the University's VPN service to:
- connect to mapped drive, H: drive or file share
- print to a networked printer from off campus
- remotely connect to a campus computer
- secure transactions from a remote site to the University's network.
Install Cisco AnyConnect
Cisco AnyConnect is required to connect to the University's VPN.
Desktops and other devices
Students using University-managed desktops with administrator privileges can download and install the app by following the appropriate link below, depending on your device. Users without administrator privileges should contact their local IT expert or the Infrastructure Services – IT Service Centre on +61 3 834 40888.
The client is compatible with all versions of the operating systems from Windows 7 onwards. Authenticate as a student by following the link below to automatically install the client on your computer. If the installation fails, click on the Windows Desktop link to download the client and manually install it.
Mac OS X users
The client requires Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later in order to work. Authenticate as a student by following the links below to install the client on your computer. The automatic installation will fail and you will need to download and install the client manually. Please contact the Infrastructure Services – IT Service Centre on +61 3 834 40888 if you require further help.
The client requires RHEL 6, 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS), 14.04 (LTS) (64-bit only) and newer in order to run. The application will not work on any Linux 32-Bit platforms.
Once the library has installed, authenticate as a student by following the links below to install the client on your computer. The automatic installation will fail and you will need to download and install the client manually.
Laptops using the Melbourne Operating Environment (MOE) have Cisco AnyConnect installed automatically. Open the app and follow the instructions below to join the VPN with Cisco AnyConnect.
Join the VPN
To join the VPN:
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- Enter 'remote.unimelb.edu.au/student' into the 'Ready to connect' field if it is not already pre-filled, and click 'Connect'.
- When prompted, enter your University username and password, and click 'OK' (Mac users) or 'Connect' (Windows users).
- You should now be connected and able to use the University's resources as if you were on campus.
When finished, open Cisco AnyConnect and click 'Disconnect'.